Resolutions – Why Make ‘Em?
It’s the second week in January. So how are your resolutions going?
The Surprising Stats
According to The Guardian’s poll, only 32% of people make New Years’ resolutions. I was surprised how few people make them. I never make them, but thought I was among the few, not the many.
Of the resoluters, 35% want to lose weight, while 33% wanted to get fitter and 31% wanted to eat more healthily. Well, that covers 99% of the group.
That’s boring. I was hoping for things like try rock climbing or start a Meetup hiking group. Something unusual or ever thought about.
But, here’s the best part of the survey results, look at the rest of the list:
- Take better care of my appearance – that goes with the first 3 in my opinion.
- See more of friends/family
- Find more time for myself (e.g. more me time)
- Get a better work-to-life balance
- Stop drinking alcohol/drink less
- Give up smoking
- Don’t know
These are not inspired.
My favorite is “don’t know.” So these people want to make a resolution, but can’t figure out what they need to do or improve. Perhaps, they can try being more decisive?
How Long They’ll Stick to It
Well ….. they don’t last long.
- Not even a month – 31%
- One month or less – 30%
- Less than three months – 16%
- Less than a year – 24%
These same people make resolutions every year and don’t stick to it.
Diet is the one broken most; usually in a few weeks.
The good news is the health club and diet food industry booms in January and falls off in February.
But there have to be better resolutions to make.
- Set foot on each of the seven continents, even Antarctica.
- Cross a country on a bicycle.
- Live like a local for a month in a foreign country.
- Go heli-skiing.
- Climb one of the world’s Seven Summits.
- Dive with a whale shark (Dolphins do not count).
- SCUBA the Great Barrier Reef.
- Volunteer abroad for a month.
- Go on a safari (not in Disney World either).
- Climb an active volcano.
- Photograph an endangered species.
- Teach English in a foreign country.
- Attend the Olympics.
- Visit every capital city in Europe.
- Shake hands with someone famous.
These are resolutions that may encourage me to make one.
So, seize the day or year or bucket list. Pick a couple and let me know your plans.